IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Runez

SWTOR initial impressions

9 posts in this topic

With the public release of Star Wars: The Old Republic scheduled for midnight tonight, I thought I post my initial thoughts on what I've seen in the last three days that I've been playing under the early access program.

I've currently got 4 characters created on 4 servers:

Bon - Jedi Knight (Guardian) on Jung Ma (an RP-PVP server where my DDO guild decided to roll).

Sarish - Trooper (Commando) on Sanctum of the Exiled (PVE Server where a couple of friends created characters).

Krazzing - Sith Inquisitor (Assassin) on Master Zhar Lestin where a group of RL friends from Colorado created a guild

Tansiq - basically unplayed Bounty Hunter on Krayt Dragon where some noobs called the Cartoon Generals are rolling along...

I've played the first three all to level 12, and the BH will probably be rolling along soon enough.

Story

Unlike other MMO's that I've played in the past (Age of Conan, World of Warcraft, DC Universe Online, Star Trek Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online), each class has it's own "Class Story". For Troopers, you're a replacement in Havoc Squad, a special forces squad helping crush the rebellion on Ord Mantell. For Jedi Knight, you're a Padawan Learner, arriving on the Jedi homeworld of Tython and immediately are asked to help when the excrement hits the fan. As you level, your story unfolds and you finish your trials as a Jedi, build your lightsaber and get ready to head to the Republic Capital of Coruscant. The Trooper is searching for some stolen weapons. The Sith fights to be taken on as the new apprentice to a Dark Lord of the Sith. So far, I've enjoyed the story of the 3 classes I've played. Still 5 more to go :)

Quests

The quests are handled in a way that I've never seen before. Rather than clicking on a quest giver, reading the lore if you really want to and then running off to kill 10 womp rats or gather 5 pig's feet, there's a cut scene for each and every quest and turn in that advances the story. If replaying a character class, these can be skipped by pressing the space bar. Some quests have decision points. A Jedi Master talks to you and you have to make a decision to reply respectfully, smugly or just be down right rude.

Sometimes you'll also be given choices where you can choose a Light Side option or a Dark Side option (capture the bad guy or execute him). There is gear that can be acquired later in the game that you can't use unless you have a certain level of Light Side or Dark Side points (and once you're attuned with the Light Side of the Force, you can no longer use Red Crystals in your Lightsaber (pity, I enjoyed my red bladed saber on my Jedi there for a few levels :) )

This interactivity goes to a new level when in a group. All members of the group are given the same options. Everyone makes their own decision and a random roll is made to see who "wins" and that person's response is used for all to see. If there's a Light or Dark decision to make, each person gets Light or Dark points according to their own answer, but it is possible to lose the roll and have the "other" outcome happen.

The story lines even have impact in the "Flashpoints" which is the Star Wars term for an instance (or dungeon for the fantasy MMO's).

Leveling

Leveling has been pretty easy to day. You start as one of the base classes at level 1 on character creation. Once you get to level 10, you choose an Advanced Class. For Jedi Knight you can choose Guardian (role of tank or DPS) or Sentinel. As a Guardian, you use a single lightsaber. As a Sentinel you can use one in each hand. As a Trooper I could choose Vanguard (tank or DPS) or Commando (DPS or Combat Medic / Healer). Once you choose your Advanced Class there is no going back, but in the event that you AC has dual roles it is easy to swap between specs as needed as long as you have the credits to pay for it.

So far I've run each of the first Flashpoints for Sith and Republic twice each - and have seen different stories unfold each time. The base run of the Flashpoint is the same (for Republic you're on a ship, it's boarded, you have to repel boarders, infiltrate the enemy ship to disable a tractor beam and escape), but there are little details in *how* you do it that differ based upon player choices.

Really enjoyed this game in the three days I've played it so far. Expect to be playing a whole lot more of it in the weeks ahead :)

What class is similar to rogue in wow? And are most of you playing rebel or empire? Oh and the server you mentioned above with gen's is the one we are all gonna play on?

Edited by =GEN=Yoursister

From the maybe half dozen that have replied I think Krayt Dragon is it (Burnout may know).

Sith Inquisitor Assassin definitely seems rogue-like. Have a stealth and a back stab type ability (can only be used behind the target). The resource ability is called "Force", you get 100 max and it regenerates over time, much like a rogue's energy. But then, I've only played mine to level 12. The two main trees options are tank and DPS - don't quite know how Assassin tanking works yet though. Apparently don't even get a taunt until mid teens.

Oh that brings up something I forgot.

Resource Management.

Jedi Knight / Sith Warrior use "Focus" - seems to be a lot like the WoW Rage Mechanic. You have a couple of base abilities that generate it and your big hitters use it and it decays over time.

Sith Inquisitors / Jedi Consulars use "Force" - which works a lot like the WoW Energy Mechanic. It constantly regenerates (something like 10 per second) up to 100 cap - all your abilities use it except for the very basic lightsaber swing.

Trooper uses Ammo. All abilities except the basic attack use Ammo. The more you have, the faster it regenerates. At like 75% to 100% it regenerates fast. Then 50-75 it regenerates slower, 25-50 slower still and 0-25 even slower. There's a 2 minute cooldown to jam a quick refill in there.

Not sure about Bounty Hunter, from what I've seen looks like they may run on Ammo too.

Going to get this just wandering what was rogue like. Rogue being my favorite type class to play.

Also are most of us playing good guys or bad guys? Empire or rebel?

Edited by =GEN=Yoursister

Cannot wait to get my gaming PC up and running, will get this game 100% ....

OMG, just cannot wait to get back to gaming... This is killing me, lol!

I love this game so far. Have my Sith Marauder (Warrior) to lvl 38 and a Bounty Hunter I just leveled to 10. The Bounty Hunter ablilites are based off heat. Each ability produces a certain amount of heat, so you have to allow it to cool off a bit by either using you basic non-heat attack or nothing at all. You also have a cooldown to use to dump a large amount of heat at once.

The thing that is tough about my warrior is that I can't use any other companion other than my healer or else I get wrecked. He's a glass cannon, tho his DPS still seems lower than a sith assassin. All in all though I am very impressed with the game so far. The stories are extremely good and the instancing is far better than WoW ever was.

Sorry I've been MIA from the forums, but I too am fully engulfed in SWTOR. :)

I have a 50 trooper beating it up on Canderous Ordo and an up and coming 26 Jedi Shadow. If anyone's interested in running with my guild, lmk.

We're on a PVE server, but we do a lot of PVP as well.

It's a great game, lots of flaws, but still great!

Steve

It has now been officialy stated that the Oceana release date will be the 1st March :) Yeh!!!!!!! Getting it for my birthday from the wife . Not long now :)