IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nyny

Leaving Star Wars

17 posts in this topic

I need to know who wants the title of guild master for the empire and republic guilds in Star Wars. I am deactivating my account and probably getting rid of it.

This whole latest crap about making it free to play was my last straw. I'm not leaving the Gens, though. I will find another game to play and still hang out with you guys. I may make a tank just so I can. :)

Let me know who to pass the torch to.

Just as a curiosity, why does Free to Play upset you ?

I have tried several games since they went F2P - Dungeons and Dragons Online, Age of Conan, Champions Online, City of Heroes, DC Universe Online, Star Trek Online

Some of them I dropped almost immediately - City of Heroes, DCU Online

Some of them I played a little and then dropped - Age of Conan

Some I still have installed and play infrequently - Champions Online, STO

One of them, however, I subscribe to and the F2P aspect hasn't really affected it: D&D Online. Not only do I subscribe but from time to time I actually spend extra money buying extra items: Bonus XP potions, Heal potions, stat tomes etc.

So, just curious as to why F2P upsets you?

F2P has become a valid business model for a lot of companies to keep a game profitable (as funny as that seems). Hardcore players still pay, casual players buy stuff from the in game store from time to time and others just play with the free features.

I was actually thinking about reinstalling it once it became F2P :)

OMG you want me to form coherent thought instead of the rambling nonsense that is my thought process? ok here goes.

I do not have a problem with that business model. I think it is valid and like using it before buying a game, especially one with expansions to buy on top of the base price of the game. I like test-driving since I do not have a huge budget for games.

What irritates me is what is specifically happening with this game. It is fairly obvious that they have screwed it up and are now trying to scramble to make as much money as possible. Just from the way the game plays now I think they have kinda given up. They keep breaking things they already fixed. The servers were well populated, then they weren't, because of the mass exodus. Now there are a handful of servers that are pretty packed....which for me, adds to lag and other crowding BS.

So, it is metric butt ton of crap for me that has added to my irritation level. The free to play thing has just sent me over the edge. I don't think it will be pretty.

Not getting rid of my account though. It turns out that it isn't worth much. So I might pop back in later to see if it has improved.

With the announcement of SWTOR going F2P and Guild Wars 2 coming out in a few weeks I probably will not be resubbing this month. I have actually gotten back into STO lately and it is fun seeing all the new things they did. I will still play SWTOR when it is F2P but I don't think I will throw money at it again.

That's probably my feel for SWTOR. I'm a huge Star Wars fanboy, and will probably do some F2P but I don't know that I'll throw any cash at it.

With WoW releasing Mists of Pandaria at the end of September, I'll probably put DDO on hiatus for a little and go experiment with a Panda for a little while :)

Yea I left too as for me it was just another WoW with SW. I liked the game play but I knew I would get to wrapped up in it and that is why I got away from WoW. With a family to take care of I cant afford to be stuck on a game all the time and still spend time with them.

Well NYNY, if you do give up SWTOR and start tanking, there is one thing that needs to be said!

Welcome to the dark side!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Valid business model or not - I do not have to support it. I paid money for the software (which will now be free to others) - I have paid a subscription fee every month (which will now be free to others) - I have been there since beta testing reporting bugs and glitches (which others did not an most likely will not once it goes f2p).

For my effort and time and money what can I expect in a few short months? Lots of farmers, spammers and asshats on overrun servers (anyone remember when WoW went f2p to lvl 20?).

I don't have the patience to play through that until the devs get it all under control (if they manage too at all) and I do feel slighted by EA - "Thanks for keeping us going from the start, but now put up with lots of players who have no material interest in the game. Just keep paying us for stale game play and broken patches".

So, I also will be removing my support from SWTOR (I vote with my money - and my vote is 'NO") and will not be renewing my sub next month.

Valid business model or not - I do not have to support it. I paid money for the software (which will now be free to others) - I have paid a subscription fee every month (which will now be free to others) - I have been there since beta testing reporting bugs and glitches (which others did not an most likely will not once it goes f2p).

I think many other gave player like you something extra for paying so long. I think it was with Aion wich I started to play AFTER it get F2P. Is there nothing extra for older player in SWOTR?

As an old WoW player I can't help noticing that every ,,WoW-Killer' made a hughe faceplant on the floor :D.

But when it goes F2P I'm definitly ging to check it out.

I can see all your points. I'll still play though I enjoy it too much and really I don't pay much mind to what is said in the chat box.

I was actually unaware that my sub had even run out, although with Pandaria coming out 4 days before I turn 20 (omg i feel old XD) I probably won't bother resubbing either. $30/month is a bit out of reach.

$30 a MONTH Nick??

seriously?? a month?? thats $360 a year ...thats a lotta loot for a game.

should buy COD 5 WAW for LESS than one months sub to Swtor..you know it makes sense

$30 a MONTH Nick??

seriously?? a month?? thats $360 a year ...thats a lotta loot for a game.

should buy COD 5 WAW for LESS than one months sub to Swtor..you know it makes sense

Cappy I think he was saying WoW and SWTOR together is 30 bucks a month not just SWTOR alone. But I too am a little disappointed by the F2P deal as I had to pay for the game then payed to play for 6 months and now no one has too. So if everyone else gets to play for free gimme my damn money back you jerk-offs!

Based upon what seems to be going on in the MMO world, F2P appears to be inevitable.

A whole bunch of the more recent MMO's have gone down this route along with some of the older ones

Aion

Rift

Star Trek

Age of Conan

Champions

DCU

The list goes on.

It seems to me that only the "older" ones that have the larger player bases have remained Pay to Play:

WoW

Everquest

EVE Online

I'm sure there's more.

In an evolving gaming model, it just appears to be another thing people need to get used to. In CoD4 and CoD5 we got free expansion content (new maps).

Then along comes Black Ops and we have to pay for DLC.

Then along comes MW3 and COD:Elite or whatever it's called.

I wonder if the MMO genre isn't moving this way more and more.

Release a hyped up game, get your early subscribers in and reap income from initial software purchase. Take initial subscriptions. When profits start to fade, go F2P to increase the life of the game, while offering extra bennies to subscribers. It becomes win/win - developers get to stay in business and people get to continue to play games they want to play.

It has worked well for Turbine with DDO and LOTRO as well as for Cryptic Studios with Star Trek and FunCom with AoC and the list goes on.

I understand the frustration - I bought SWTOR too - but to me it's the face of an evolving business model for electronic gaming.