IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SixFour

What is your favorite movie of all time?

21 posts in this topic

I figured we needed something different and fun to talk about.

What is your favorite movie of all time and why?

(All the James Bond of course)

"Where Eagels Dare"

Great plot, excellent cast and set in the WW2 era.

Summary

The story takes place during WWII. A British aircraft has been shot down and crash landed in the southern part of Germany. The nazis has captured the only survivor, a certain General George Carnaby of the General High Command in the US Army, and has taken him to the Schloß Adler - the SS headquarters in the area. For the nazis, the General is a very valuable source for information on the war strategies of the allied troupes.

The best way to deal with the problem would be to bomb the castle, and so silence the General for good and maybe get a couple of key nazis at the same time. This cannot be done however, for the General is even more important than the nazis might think - the loss of him would mean no second front for the allied that year! Besides, no plane can get near the castle without permission before it gets shot down. The solution is to send a squad to the area that can infiltrate the castle and get the General out before they force him to talk. Seven agents are very utterly picked for the mission. The leader of the squad will be Major John Smith, with the assistance of Lieutenant Morris Schaffer, who is a trained ranger of the US Army.

The plan, however, gets jeopardized when the team parachutes into a wooded area. Soon after, the group find the radio operator and it appears he has been murdered, and it soon becomes clear that no one can be trusted...

Edited by =GEN=SixFour.pro

The original red dawn . And can't forget Mad Max.

Edited by =GEN=Yoursister

That's a tough one, but I think I'd go with "Oldboy"

I was trying to get some Korean movies at the time when I found that one, so had no idea what to expect or even knew what it was about in general.

If you haven't seen the movie and are interested in it, then I would recommend the same approach and just watch it without taking a look at trailers or reading up on it first.

This makes it difficult to talk about without spoiling anything, but I can say that I was absolutely surprised by the story and how it was presented.

Nowadays Hollywood movies always follow the same pattern, depending on the movie's genre, e.g.: every single romance movie starts with the funny "get-to-know/falling in love" phase, followed by the "problem" and the impeding doom of the relationship only to recover into a happy ending.

It's just so boring when you can predict the whole movie in advance.

"Oldboy" was nothing like that. It has twists and surprises all the way up to the very end of the movie, so that I would definitely recommend it if you would like to see something different.

(just as a heads-up though, the movie is bloody!)

The Great Escape for me Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough, Charles Bronson, James Coburn etc etc. Just an all round fantastic movie, and every one knows the motorbike scene with McQueen, trying to jump the Barbed wire fences, replicated later in Indiana Jones.

This movie is a classic and i never get tired of watching it.

Saving Private Ryan. I can be flicking around channels any time and the minute I come across that movie I stop and watch the rest. My favorite character is the sniper who recites scripture as he pops the enemy.

My second is Big Fish. Very unusual story about a boy's relationship with his father who always embelishes everything with tall tales. If you are a dad I recomend watching it with your sons.

Edited by =GEN=Lead_Magnet

The Great Escape for me Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough, Charles Bronson, James Coburn etc etc. Just an all round fantastic movie, and every one knows the motorbike scene with McQueen, trying to jump the Barbed wire fences, replicated later in Indiana Jones.

This movie is a classic and i never get tired of watching it.

I agree Jinx the Great Escape is my Fav to.

I would have a hard time making an all time favorite.

War Movie: Great Escape is an awesome one no doubt.

Science Fiction: Probably The Empire Strikes Back, just ahead of the original Star Wars. Watch those movies all the time.

Big Fish ? My son insisted we watch that as a family (he'd watched it in school). I'll have to beg to differ - not a movie I'd ever watch again.

Great topic Sixfour. :thumbsup:

Id be hard pressed to find my fave of all time, but i do have a few that i cant help but watch again no matter how often ive seen them

the Godfather series is sensational, so too Saving private Ryan.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, infact the whole Millenium triolgy, the original not the new remake of TGWTDT, was sensational,

and for those who have never seen it "the Lives of Others" was captivating.Set in East Germany follows the trials and tribulations of one couple, who in the eyes of the Secret police are "against the state", shows the interaction of the 2, and the effect of one man having he power of freedom over others, as i said well worth a watch, even if it is all subtitles. looking for a copy of it? look here.Lives of others DL

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, infact the whole Millenium triolgy, the original not the new remake of TGWTDT, was sensational,

Oh yes,

I read the books before watching the movies and couldn't stop reading. Lisbeth is such a powerful character.

I haven't seen the US remake yet, but it actually got some quite good ratings. However, based on the books and after watching the original movies I just can't picture Daniel Craig as Blomkvist.

Oh yes,I read the books before watching the movies and couldn't stop reading. Lisbeth is such a powerful character.I haven't seen the US remake yet, but it actually got some quite good ratings. However, based on the books and after watching the original movies I just can't picture Daniel Craig as Blomkvist.

The millenium Trilogy was a fantastic series read them in 3 weeks. such a shame Larson wasn't able to see how popular they became (i also wonder if he didn't pass away before their release would they have gotten the same attention they have received....... I would hope so personally) The orginal movies were great, even though i am not a fan of 'reading' a movie, but the US version with Daniel Craig as Blomkvist was actually really good.

jinx, 5 yr ago, i would have said the same"i couldnt be arsed reading a movie", but after watching a few ovies with subtitles, ive found, if its "gripping" enough, you dont tend to notice that you are actually reading..

Another one, not a Movie, but a mini series, "The Bridge" {Broen} www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/ all subs, but after 2 mins you forget you are reading, does not in anyway detract from the impact of the show

Every SKIPPY THE BUSH KANGAROO SERIES... i had a huge crush on clancy when i was a kid....

As a adult,,,,,,,,all the saw series,, closely followed by anything with my bestest friend sylvia saint :whistling:

My favorite movie is Gone With The Wind. I am a fanatic for old movies and that is my all time favorite followed by Singing in the Rain.

=GEN=MarineLover.pro

Posted Today, 04:50 PM

My favorite movie is Gone With The Wind. I am a fanatic for old movies and that is my all time favorite followed by Singing in the Rain.

This is a Girly movie lol

For an old SiFi would be "the Forbidden Planet" made in 1955 and way ahead of its time like 20 years. Look for it in the old section but a must see

Mine is T2 Arnold's best of the series and maybe Commando

I know these are SiFi's but they are very entertaining. As far as drama, action or suspense there are a lot of them

Mine is Heavy Metal... A movie way before its time... I have the cover picture from the LP Album on my whole back and thats where I took the name Terrakian (Its a character race in the film)....

Also liked Pitch Black (part of the Riddick series) before anyone even knew it existed... it was a film no one looked at when it came out but when Riddick came out it was all the rage...

Also, Still havent seen you Sixfour... but good to see you here with us Gens...

Ah "The Forbidden Planet" with Anee Francis. An amazing twist on how an alien race destroyed themselves with their own advanced technology which unleashed their own primal desires.

And Pitch Black was fun as well, the genesis of Riddick and one of Vin Diesel's best moves other than Saving Private Ryan.

Enemy of the gates sex in the middle of the german soldier is my fav.:biggrin:lol just kidding ..........honestly i like the style of NAZI Sniper very professional but he killed vassilli coz for sacrificing her bestfriend......Starring Joseph Fiennes, Jude Law, Rachel Weisz, Bob Hoskins and Ed Harris