IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Terrakian

Any problems using Win 8??

7 posts in this topic

I am thinking of buying a new laptop and was wondering if i should get one with Win 7 installed or Win 8 wont be a problem with games?? Anyone have any input??

Here are a couple of links to the two I am contemplating purchasing..

My link

My link

I am looking at this place to get it because it is a present from family and here is where they want to get it from.. Let me know what you guys think.. I have done some basic homework on the video card performance on both and both look like they can handle even BF3 with no issues.. I would rather go with an Acer because I have had good luck with them in the past but I don't know much really about HP of late tbh...

I am thinking of buying a new laptop and was wondering if i should get one with Win 7 installed or Win 8 wont be a problem with games?? Anyone have any input??

Here are a couple of links to the two I am contemplating purchasing..

My link

My link

I am looking at this place to get it because it is a present from family and here is where they want to get it from.. Let me know what you guys think.. I have done some basic homework on the video card performance on both and both look like they can handle even BF3 with no issues.. I would rather go with an Acer because I have had good luck with them in the past but I don't know much really about HP of late tbh...

i installed it on release day. windows 8 is ok, some software isnt supported or updated yet, but no issues with the games as of yet.

Make sure you consider all the options on those two as well :)

i5 vs i7

15 inch vs 17 inch screen (those 17 inch screen make for a very heavy laptop if you do a lot of lugging them around - 5.7 vs 7.3 lbs).

500GB vs 750GB disk

My wife and my daughter both have HP laptops and both love them. Daughter doesn't do much game playing though. Wife only really plays a little WoW on it and hasn't had any problems.

Guy who owns a local computer store was on the radio last night saying he loves Windows 8, but take that for what its worth :)

I'm not game enough to install Windows 8 right away. I have my Windows 7 just cooking along nicely at the moment.

"In a presentation at Ubuntu Developer Summit currently going on in Denmark, Drew Bliss from Valve said that Linux is more viable than Windows 8 for gaming. Windows 8 ships with its own app store and it is not an open platform anymore and Linux has everything they need: good OpenGL, pulseaudio, OpenAL and input support."
Taken from google news!

Windows 8 is not as fast as Windows 7 when it comes to games, yet. Where it can hurt is compatibility. I wound stay on windows 7 until at least the first service pack for windows 8, and a easy way to disable "Metro" interface on the fly to improve system resources!

Where is a quick demo of various benchmarks!

And that's the important piece - slower games = I'll do it later :-)

Windows 8 has done nothing really to catch my attention. I most likely won't be getting it. I really love Win7. I find it functional and stable.

My wife and my daughter both have HP laptops and both love them. Daughter doesn't do much game playing though. Wife only really plays a little WoW on it and hasn't had any problems.

I swore to never again buy another HP laptop. They have always caused me trouble from poor build quality. My friend had one that used to run so hot when it was sitting idle that it sounded like it was going to take off her desk (like a rocket I mean) from the fans spinning so high. I find them to be heavy and sluggish. The one I bought was even a nice one, but the chip started to separate from the board about 2 months after my warranty expired... which was only a year and a half long. You can do much better for your money.

Ok.. Thank you all for your input... I VERY MUCH appreciated all your help...

I decided to go with the Acer after all with Win 7. Here is the link again... The video card was a big influence also. I looked at both and the Radeon HD 7670M showed to be a much better card than the other and this will be mainly used for gaming so that was the final straw..

http://www.hsn.com/electronics/acer-aspire-17-3-lcd-core-i5-6gb-ram-500gb-hdd-laptop_p-6746875_xp.aspx

Thanks again for all your help.. It will be here in 3-7 days and I will let you know what I think of the real product.. :)

Terra..

Edited by =GEN=Terrakian