IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Runez

Considering building a new rig

24 posts in this topic

So, I'm considering building a new rig.

Current specifications (base box purchased 2007, upgraded piecemeal since):

ASUS M2N-E Am2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Mobo

500 GB HDD

4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 (PC2 5300)

EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896 MB 448-bit DDR3

500W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0 GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core

I probably can spend $1000 to $1200 on the setup and have to build 2 (because wifey's is as old as mine).

Monitors are probably OK as is. Probably also need to get new cases - since we'll probably hand these machines down to the youngest two teenagers and throw their POS machine into the lake.

After 5-6 years, I think it's time for a whole upgrade.

SSD options could be considered (and probably worth having for OS and maybe game installs)

I'm way out of touch with what's latest and greatest in PC component technology - anyone have any suggestions on what that kind of cash can buy ?

One other thing ... is it still possible to buy Windows 7 ? I don't know that I want to go Windows 8 just yet

no worries for win7, you can still buy, avoid that win8, in it's current state it is a steaming pile of horse manure. Hell they are already working on win9... I think win8 will by same as window ME, they will wish everyone will forget it ever existed. lol

I will check a few stats on hardware and get back to you what are you options!

So, I'm considering building a new rig.

Current specifications (base box purchased 2007, upgraded piecemeal since):

ASUS M2N-E Am2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Mobo

500 GB HDD

4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 (PC2 5300)

EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896 MB 448-bit DDR3

500W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0 GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core

I probably can spend $1000 to $1200 on the setup and have to build 2 (because wifey's is as old as mine). (Is this the total amount for (2) systems - or cost per system? )

Monitors are probably OK as is. Probably also need to get new cases - since we'll probably hand these machines down to the youngest two teenagers and throw their POS machine into the lake.

After 5-6 years, I think it's time for a whole upgrade.

SSD options could be considered (and probably worth having for OS and maybe game installs)

I'm way out of touch with what's latest and greatest in PC component technology - anyone have any suggestions on what that kind of cash can buy ?

One other thing ... is it still possible to buy Windows 7 ? I don't know that I want to go Windows 8 just yet

Edited by =GEN=A_Citizen

Cost Item

$100 SSD Samsung128GB

$105 HDD Seagate 2TB 7200RPM 6 Gb/s 3.5”

CPU/Motherboard

$300 Intel Core I5-3570K / Asus P8Z77-V LGA 1155

$55 Memory 2x4GB 1600 MHZ DDR3

$20 DVD Burner SATA LG DVD Burner

$115 Case/PS Corsair CX500 + 500W PS

OR

$132 Rosewill R5 USB 3.0 Front + 650W PS + Fan Controller

Video Card TBD

Have not bought an OS in ever $0

$850 Total

Edited by =GEN=A_Citizen

I am also considering building a desk top rig. Not sure what I would need though. For the last 8 years I have only used laptops.

Oh, my cost was per system. So 2000-2500-ish total

Sorry about that!

Well it is cheaper than the last laptops I have bought. 500 cheaper. My wife will love that

Edited by =GEN=Yoursister

Runez, i bought

Asus p8z77 V MO board.

16G 1600 mhz Ram

i5 5570k Cpu

Antec 902 Gaming case

LG Blu Ray /Burner

Corsair 850W gold PSU

240 GigKingston SSD

Corsair M60 gaming Mouse {and Razer Goliath Mouse Pad}

All for $1200 AU had my own OS and GPU

Thats Aust prices im sure you could find better over there.

oh and the Difference is amazing

Cappy reused his 5970.

I agree getting a z77 motherboard with a i7 3770k is the go. But I do think they are about to release a new socket code name Haswell which is an 1150 socket.

Graphics cards, you cant go wrong with gtx 680 if you are still gaming at 1080p or under. It looks like both AMD and Nvidia are not updating there cards for a while.

Prices on GTX 680's seem to be a little high at the moment and would take fully half of my budget per machine. Since I have not bought a machine in 6 years, I don't know if that would be considered "standard" or not.

Easy fixed Runez.

Build yours as you require..build you wifes with the left over funds...;

You have not been charged for this advice, nor am i liable for divorce costs should you use it

LOL,

What will you use the pc for?

What games are you playing?

What res is your Monitor?

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

My home rig is for gaming. I have a 22" at the moment (I'm running 1680x1050) and after the move I think I'll have a 24" I can slot in there.

Games:

FPS I have the COD's, BF3. If we can find a shooter everyone loves again, maybe that one too.

I downloaded Warthunder today

I still dabble in some MMO's (DDO, Neverwinter when it's released here soon, Star Wars very rarely)

She plays WoW mostly at the moment.

Isn't the next CPU/GFX chip generation upcoming soon?

Might be worth waiting for that one, as it will likely affect prices of the current generation or you might be able to get the new generation for comparable $$$.

forthcoming haswell will be too expensive - but will drop ivy bridge - but not for months - ivy bridge is not coming down and just recently replaced sandy bridge - how long were you going to wait?

Cappy reused his 5970.

I agree getting a z77 motherboard with a i7 3770k is the go. But I do think they are about to release a new socket code name Haswell which is an 1150 socket.

Graphics cards, you cant go wrong with gtx 680 if you are still gaming at 1080p or under. It looks like both AMD and Nvidia are not updating there cards for a while.

Hodgy - I disagree - regarding the CPU -. 3770k is for those who wish to overclock - if you are not overclocking, dont pay extra - remove the K - pay less, buy more memory and a better video card, or use the saved money on a motherbaord with quad channel support ,and go for 4x4GB of mem -

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

Runez, I gave up building my own rigs a couple of years ago when I realized I could no longer get the best price for myself buying separate components not to mention the risk of bricking a component during assembly. Take a look at CyberPower. You can get a feel for the cost of various valid combinations of components with their configurators and then decide if you can get a better deal building your own.

Didn't know about that site, Lead, thanks.

I'll have to do some build and compares...

Hodgy - I disagree - regarding the CPU -. 3770k is for those who wish to overclock - if you are not overclocking, dont pay extra - remove the K - pay less, buy more memory and a better video card, or use the saved money on a motherbaord with quad channel support ,and go for 4x4GB of mem -

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

Are you joking me mate, for 20 bucks. The 3770k can overclock to 4.5 at the push of a button. Overclocking the cpu can give massive returns in gaming and as the platform starts to age it could hold of an upgrade for some time.

But if the machine is just for gaming I would get the below cpu. It is less hyper threading

Motherboards

Ram

Cooler

PSU

Work in progress!!!

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

Runez, I just upgraded my wife's machine, I got her a 3570k Intel on a Z77 Gigabyte board, 8 gigs of memory, Western Digital 1 tb black caviar HD, antec 750 power supply and a gtx 560. Ain't no game it won't run at almost full tilt except maybe crysis3. oh and by the way I also built one for myself. It's the same exact hardware except the memory is different make and my video card is a gtx660ti.

Sister - I have never been a fan of gaming on laptops - but that's just me.

Unless of course the Alienware laptops have gaming infrastructure for video cards etc. The onboard video and CPU's for most laptops just don't cut it.

But again, just me :)

EVGA GTX 660. $214.99

Asus P8Z77. $197.98

Corsair Ram. $120.22

Corsair PSU. $149.99

Corsair CPU cooler H80i. $88.98

CPU $219.99

I added the 660 for budget, but if you can I would get the 670. If you are upgrading to 1080p the 670 is a lot better.

Grand total: $993.00 usd. And on sale today!!!!!

Case is up to you.

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy