IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Looseminded

This is the Nerd Herd Help Desk, yes?

9 posts in this topic

So I'm back in school and taking a C# class this semester.  The program we're required to use for this class is Visual Studio 2012.  Our first homework assignment is due next week and I cannot get VS2012 to open a C# template.  I receive this error upon creation:

"Visual Studio does not have permissions to read the template information from the system registry. This is often caused by registry permission problems."

I've tried running as administrator, disabling antivirus like microsoft suggests, and I'm on an administrative account. The only workaround I've found is to run a script that will ultimately screw over my sound drivers, and since I use this computer for far more than school, I'd like to avoid having to do a full reinstall to fix the drivers issue.

Does anybody know a way to fix this without completely screwing my computer over?  I'd appreciate any help <3 thanks.

Edited by =GEN=Looseminded
Language. Tsk, Tsk, Loose.

Disable Antivirus software and try again, this worked for me - MSVS has a phone home feature that AV software may block. Also run it as ADMIN. One more thing, use the defaULT path and project name - all of that seem to work..

Or

1. Open regedit.exe
  2. Locate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.11.0
  3. Right click -> Permissions -> Advanced -> Owner
  4. Select "Administrators" and click "OK"
  5. Do the same to all subfolders which is under VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.11.0, if any (you might need to restart regedit to see them)
  6. Right Click VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.11.0 and click "Delete"
  7. Set permissions for VsWizard.WizCombo.11.0 folder and subfolders, and delete that one too
  8. Now you shouldn

I am still receiving the same error.  This is after performing all of the steps listed (including running as admin with AV off and the short story below it).

Honestly at this point I'm just tempted and willing to stay for 3 hours or more after class so that I can actually get it done without a hassle.  :P

I do appreciate you helping me out with this however, Smarty.

Edited by =GEN=Looseminded

I want to upgrade my RAM but how do i know which to get? I will post my current setup and motherboard info once i find the packet ibuypower sent with the PC

I'm running a amd fx8120 processor with 8 gigs of RAM but i do not know how many sticks of what capacity/type, Nvidia geforce 650 ti EVGA superclocked and a asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard and it has a AMD 970/SB950 chipset.

Edited by =GEN=khorazy.pro

I'm running a amd fx8120 processor with 8 gigs of RAM but i do not know how many sticks of what capacity/type, Nvidia geforce 650 ti EVGA superclocked and a asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard and it has a AMD 970/SB950 chipset.

Why do you need to upgrade your ram?

What are you running that needs more than 8gb.. I think at this moment bf4 has the highest requirement on RAM and 6gb is ok..

I'm not a AMD guy so I dont know a great deal about them.

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

Lol you post a good argument, there really is no major reason, but i am planning a future gpu upgrade and had figured i should up my RAM to 16gb before doing so. Since you put things into perspective for me i guess there's no need, when i upgrade my graphics card i'd like to get a nvidia 660 ti or a normal 670, what wattage power supply would i need for such a card? I do not remember what my current wattage one is now but i know at the time of purchase it was the bare minimum to run my 650 ti.

Though you have enough ram heres some sites to look at for ideas for your Mobo: Heres some Mobo specs for your ram. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/specifications/ 

Check out the Qualified Vendors List too. 

Heres the video cards reportedly compatible with your Mobo: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/?compatible_with=asus-motherboard-m5a97r20

Heres a site that gives the specs for Geo force Graphics cards including minimum System Power Requirement specs : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/