IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

HAWKS47

CPU overheating

10 posts in this topic

Howdy. I have a pc here that the CPU is running extremely hot I have redone the CPU paste and cleaned out the cooling fins. I was just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what else to try. I have also checked and all the fans are working.

This is more of an edge case, but is the high temperature always the same?

If it doesn't change at all, then the temp. sensor could be broken. 

The more usual culprits are s.th. like the cpu cooler not being properly attached, restricted airflow, low fan speed, ...

Try running it with an open case to see if the temperature starts dropping.

thats 65 degress c... Thats not over heating unless it's AMD and Amd I have no clue. If it's an Intel cpu you are fine..

Max rated temps for a intel CPU is around 100c. I like to make sure at full load i'm not going over 80c.

What cpu is it?

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

Temp varies somewhat between about 127 F and 150 F case is already open fan speeds at max revs.

do the temps drop whn you put the cover back on?

i was under the impression most cases are designed with airflow in mind, so by opening the case you circumvent the ability of the air to reach the right places.

how are you "maxing out fan speed"  via Bios settings? or an after market cpu control program?

are the temps high always ? or only when putting the system under load{gaming etc}?

I think we need to know what CPU you have as Hodgy said. However a sure fire way to reduce CPU temps is to replace your stock cooler with an aftermarket cooler. Depending on what you are trying to achieve that can be relatively easy and inexpensive. I just did this myself after a physical move compromised my stock cooler seating and I am able to now significantly over clock my CPU.

As Hodgy said Intel CPUs are rated to run up to 100C at which point some processors (e.g. I7) will throttle down their clock sped to protect themselves from overheating.  You could download some monitoring programs such as CPUID to see what CPU model you have and the clock speed it is running at and CPUID HW Monitor to follow your temperatures for all the components in your case and your fan speeds and voltages to better determine what is going on and if you get better results with an open or closed case (I would expect closed to be more efficient if you have your fans set up correctly (e.g. push/pull).

Hope this helps....

A quick Google search seems to indicate it should be kept below 62-650 C which is 1430 to 1490 F so you are pretty much within the safe range.  There any many models and versions of the AMD Phenom II CPU, so as recommended above you should probably download CPUID CPU-Z and determine the exact model and do your own Google searches.

overheating problem has been resolved yall thx for all the advice. Turns out it was mostly due to using wireless keyboard and mouse.