IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=WaLLeR

New monitor (I'm going 144hz!)

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

As many of you know, for years I have been using a Samsung 32 inch TV as a monitor at 1080p 60hz. I've defended this selection on many occasions, truth is, contrary to what others (Cappy) have tried, it isn't blocky in the slightest and is great with a low field of view. You can clearly see people's faces to shoot from any distance. 

Having said that, over the years the screens a bit washed out so it's time for a change. I was going to get another one of these but I've decided to jump on the 144hz bandwagon. 

I've just ordered the new Acer 27-inch 144hz 1ms G-SYNC monitor. Apparently G-sync adapts the monitors refresh rate to your fps to ensure that there's absolutely no tearing whilst getting around the mouse lag problems of 60hz vsync.

I'm going to have to get used to the smaller screen size I guess but I hope the faster refresh rate compensates a bit. 

Has anyone here gone from 60hz to 120 or 144hz? Is the difference that much?

To be honest, writing this post I've just realised I've wasted my money....I don't get less than 144FPS in any game so paying the extra 100 quid for G-sync was a waste  of time....  :wallbash:

Nice one mate.

Is it ips or TN? What's the resolution? If its 2560x1440 I would be surprised if you can keep 144fps on ultra. Also at that resolution you will need to drop settings as you will max out your ram capacity. I smell a gpu upgrade.

144Hz helps if u scan and pan a lot... less tearing vs 60hz... having said that its best to test it before buying if possible? Acer is not known to make decent performance monitor...

IPS could be better in color accuracy and viewing angle when fast action is required... less ghosting. but TN has advantage in response time... hence the 144hz.

Dell top range monitors are better than acer i think.

I think for gaming TN is fine, and knowing waller he takes fps over quality everytime. Having said that I would never go back to TN panels, my dells are just beautiful to look at.

If money is no object the monitor mentioned by black is the best for gaming at this moment.

I did look at that one - but decided against as I only wanted 1080p. This monitor arrived today so I'm gonna jump in bf4 and give it a go!