IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Runez

New Gaming Headset needed

7 posts in this topic

Wifey tells me that while I've been in Australia, son was using my computer one day and "my headset broke".

Don't know how, don't want to know what 20 year old son did, but they were old and probably due a replacement anyway.

What I had was a Plantronics Gamecom 780 headset.  It's wired, has big holes for my big ears and was wide enough for my fat head.

So, before I hit up Amazon for a new set, thought I'd ask around a few places I hang out with other gamers and ask what you recommend - so I can order and have new toys waiting for me when I get home in a week and a half.

I've always shied away from wireless for gaming because I have been in the middle of raids and things before where mouse or keyboard runs out of juice at the worst possible time - but I have tripped over the cord to my headset so many times, I'm wondering if I shouldn't invest in wireless.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I've had a Logitech G35 headset for about 1.25 years now and I must say that the surround sound on it is superb.  The reason I got this one is because I'd seen bad reviews for another Logitech headset saying that it broke fairly easily, and I didn't want crap like that to happen considering the headsets that I had used prior to this one.

The -ONLY- downsides to this one is if you don't have an external sound card or your USB ports are shitty, from time to time (seems to be mostly in the summer or during periods of excessive heat), the G35 likes to immediately mute all sound from my tower and start blasting pure static into my ears at maximum volume.  It honestly scares the shit out of me most times, but because I have my headset plugged into the back of my keyboard it's an easy fix as I can just unplug and replug, even though it shouldn't be doing it to begin with.

Aside from that, this is a fantastic headset and I'd recommend it highly, but only if you can afford it or can find it on sale (I got it for $36 after gift cards and discounts, it's normally $129.99, I imagine because it's got Logitech's name on it.).

Here's an Amazon & Logitech link if you want to check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O5CCQK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g35-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

Edited by =GEN=Looseminded

Seriously thinking about the wireless version this time.   So I think the G930 looks like the wireless version of these.

I might go hunting around electronics stores in Australia and see if they have a pair out for a try on before spending $100 on them.

Then I still have time to order from Amazon for delivery before I get home :)

Fair enough :)

And yeah I get the tripping over the cord thing.  I ended up sticking a hook in my wall and draping the cord over that so I would be unable to trip on it.

I have heard from trusted sources (Waller and my youngest son) that wireless head phones are a pain in the arse and a bad idea.  Perhaps Waller can weigh in?

Well, too late now ... ordered a set of Logitech G930.

We'll find out :)