IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
khorazy

upgrading my gpu and power supply.

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, i currently have a evga 650 ti superclocked and a 550W power supply which iirc is the lowest wattage needed to run my rig. I was hoping someone would have a suggestion on what i could upgrade too with a $400 budget?

I can't speak for the hardware as I don't have an EVGA GeForce (I have a Gigabyte Radeon) but both of these should fit into your budget.  I have a PSU that's the same wattage as stated here, but not the same brand or model.

GPU: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-2966-KR/dp/B00SC6HAS4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1436658382&sr=1-1&keywords=GTX+960

PSU: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-110-B2-0850-V1/dp/B00KYK1CC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436658235&sr=8-1&keywords=850W+ATX+power+supply

Both of these should fit into your budget nicely and you oughta get a good bang for your buck with the GPU.  According to videocardbenchmark.net the benchmark score is roughly 1.8x higher than your current GPU if it's the one I think it is (650 BOOST).  I would definitely do your research though and make sure everything's compatible with your rig before you go spending though.  I almost bought a $300 processor once to find out that the pins don't match what I have on my MOBO.

Whats your current CPU, Motherboard and at what resolution to you play at?

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

I currently run a amd fx8120 cpu on a asus M5A97 R2.0 MOBO. And i run everything at 1920x1080.

Edited by =GEN=khorazy

So i saved a bit of money by buying a Rosewill arc 650m power supply after doing some research, and used that bit of money i saved from that to get a EVGA gtx 960 4gb. I liked the psu you had posted but i did not need anywhere near that much power for my rig. I'll update ya guys after the install, thanks again.