IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Looseminded

VBIOS updating

21 posts in this topic

Hey Nerd Herd!

So I've been having increasing issues with my displays flashing intermittently.  All of the research I've been doing online is saying that a fix for this is to update the VBIOS, however said research has also turned up information where it warns against updating due to potential hardware failure if done incorrectly.

This video shows exactly the issue I'm describing:

I run a Gigabyte R9 270x as my GPU, I have used a VGA@BIOS utility to back up my current VBIOS (GV-R927XOC-2GD.F1).  My questions are 1: If I were to update my VBIOS, would I update to R927XO2D.FA1 and 2: How recommended is this?

Before you guys read me the riot act (:P) I am updated to my latest drivers version (15.7.1)

My current concern is that if I don't update, this could become a potential problem far later on to where it starts damaging my displays (can this even happen?)

Thanks for your time and help,  I hope you guys are having a wonderful week so far.

Edited by =GEN=Looseminded

Can you give me the full model number? Is a refrence or none refrence card?

I dont think it will hurt your screen..

How old is it? can you RTM?

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

It's eight months old, and it comes with a three year warranty.  I figured worst case scenario I could have my uncle submit an RMA request and hope they ship a new card out with an RMA slip before I send the old one back.

Will do, and thankfully I have a backup of the BIOS in the event this completely screws me :P

I shall return within 60 minutes with results.

It shouldn't, but my tower's slow to start (takes 20 minutes from cold startup)

Also I'm back before even restarting.  Says the flash failed because the BIOS id's don't match haha

Well now I'm scared to restart because the bios downloaded is V10 which won't work with a V1 bios, it needs to be V2-9.  :S

I restarted anyway, but after flashing it said that it failed to write.  Which is probably a good thing considering what I mentioned in my last post.

Yeah it will not brick your card.

Grab one of those bios and try again..

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

Well I mean, if it's telling me that it's failing to write that tells me that it's write protected and I don't know enough about GPUs to even want to attempt to mess with it.  I think I'm just going to end up trying to get a replacement card or contacting gigabyte for support.

All the same though, I appreciate your assistance Hodgy.

The speed with which this computer starts up makes me cry... it used to take 15 seconds when it was first put together.  Maybe I just need to invest in entirely new parts and an SSD or two LOL

It does appear that it has successfully flashed though.  I worried greatly at first because when I opened VGA @BIOS to check it gave me a failed to initialize error, trying again got the information to show up.  I'm going to let this sit for a few days and see if the problem persists.

Thanks a bunch again Hodgy.  If you're ever on the West Coast of the states I owe you a beer sometime :thumbsup:

what kind of motherboard do you have?

Its all good mate. But i am planning a trip over in 2017..

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

what kind of motherboard do you have?

Its all good mate. But i am planning a trip over in 2017..

I have an ASUS P6X58D motherboard

Did it help with the screen problem?

I won't know for some time.  Restarting usually solves the screen flickering for an hour or two before they start picking up again.  It'll take a day or two of being on until I'll know whether they're helped or not.

I will look into your slow startup and post back here..

Please don't feel like you have to.  It's not a big deal, just annoying.  I'm pretty sure it's a problem with a hard drive as I had two that were mirrored, and no longer are due to the back up failing during a power surge.  I'm also nearly out of space on both my partitions and just need more space in general, but the system is also nearly six years old so it's entirely possible that it's simply time for new parts.  I need new fans anyway, my system runs fairly hot and they have issues running at a steady RPM.

That said, I've got work in eight hours so I'm off to sleep.  Thanks for all your help!