IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Looseminded

RAID/Mirrored Hard Drive question

5 posts in this topic

Hey gents,

So for the past... three and a quarter years now, I've had a hard drive in my system that was unplugged due to assuming it had failed during a power surge.  After replacing my fans today with some better ones, I decided to plug it back in and see what happened.

This hard drive used to be mirrored with my previous one, but now no longer appears to be as I have four partitions: C:, D:, F:, and G:.  C and F are named System and D and G are named Data which is why I know it's the mirrored drive.

The last time it appears to have been altered was July 14th of 2012.  With that said and both of these drives hooked back up, is there any reason I cannot format this hard drive and use it for storage?  Would that screw up my primary drives?

Also, under the assumption I wanted to re-mirror these drives, is it a simple process or a complete pain in the ass?

Thanks for the assistance guys :)

I would have thought it was just a case of  Comp>hard drives >drive letter you want,right click and then format.

If its not your primary dive{OS installed} i cant see why you couldnt.

I don't see why I can't either, but I have system files on F as well with Data on G (which is the mirrored drive in two partitions) but I want to make sure before I even consider it just in case it's not safe and I end up formatting my system xD

I don't think you told us which drive came back to life.  When you thought it died did you turn off mirroring in the bios?  If you did then there is absolutely no reason why you cannot treat each drive individually and do what ever you wish.  The fact that you have four physical drives and four drive letters seems to indicate that you did turn off mirroring.  If you did not then your system would have theoretically begun the re-mirroring process with that drive.  In any event make sure you know what drive your OS is installed on before you start formatting (your boot drive in BIOS) and it would'n hurt to have a backup or clone, which you should have considered doing regularly if and when you turned off mirroring.

The drive with F and G is the one that's back to life.  I did not physically turn mirroring off that I remember, but it has been unplugged for three years and doesn't seem to be re-syncing, so maybe I did.  In any case, what this tells me is that I can take this drive and have it as my system backup (Cause I'm still a noob and only back up important files rather than everything) before I install a fresh 2TB drive for storage