IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Hodgy

All things Assetto Corsa

77 posts in this topic

I am liking this game, bit of a learning curve as i am un familiar with xbox controller feel, they have come along way since the first playstation controllers when i used to play f1 racing religiously (full lap races damage on complulsory pitting etc)

My first Race win

nice! I'm curious, as I haven't tried it myself yet, but does the career mode AI use rubberbanding to catch up with the player?

Not yet shuqi that i have encountered but i have only played novice series 1

Glovez: is that an app running on a tablet/ipad in front of the main screen?

Hodgy: your's doesn't work, as it's set to "private". Make sure to share your setup video and not some "home" videos... ;)

Hodgy: your's doesn't work, as it's set to "private". Make sure to share your setup video and not some "home" videos... ;)

Try now

Try now

That's an impressive setup!

The close position of the screens almost makes it look like the wheel is actually connected.

I assume that display in between the wheel & main monitor is that tablet app you mentioned?

Did you dial down the force-feedback in this video? There doesn't appear to be much sound from it and you seem to be handling it well with just one hand, so I was wondering about that. 

It's actually quite interesting to see your driving, as I can see the difference in speed & corner handling compared to mine.

Yeah feed back is set low so I don't get clipping also turned the sounds down because you could hear me breathing. I have worked out how to get sound now so I will do a new one tonight maybe.

My old htc phone connected by WiFi, using DashMeterPro..

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

Seems like quite a significant hardware investment is needed to compete with the big boys (including a bigger desk)...  (next I'm probably going to hear that it doesn't make that much of a difference LOL)

Yea, the application is DashMeterPro, same as Hodgy (it's about $5 for Assetto Corsa). I use to use this one which is completely free, http://www.simracing-tools.de/simtools/index.php?id=dashboard however its having some issues with the latest big update from AC.

nice set up guys... should take some photo to show your rigs with lights on so that the rest can see how things are done with the set up XD

or at lease some video to show the set up before or after u had a go with the game.

Cheers

Seems like quite a significant hardware investment is needed to compete with the big boys (including a bigger desk)...  (next I'm probably going to hear that it doesn't make that much of a difference LOL)

I disagree. I also think you have not played or owned a racing sim.

The leader boards are full of people who would disagree with your hardware statement. Is the fastest a wheel user maybe I didn't check but I know that a controller users can be just as fast.

GoldenGlovez is a good example!

He is a controller user at this moment but wants a wheel.

He is also very fast with a controller, he is about 2 seconds a lap of my pace. The reason he is, he is using assist to shift gears. The last turn on Mugello before the main straight away needs to be spot on. You can drop seconds by the end of the straight if you entry speed is wrong. Assist will select a much higher gear than you would select when using a manual shiftier.

Now I don't use assists which makes it much harder to drive. I need to do things like blip the accelerator to shift down or heel and toe when using a h pattern shiftier, all skills that need to be mastered.

One thing about online racing, there will always be faster than you. If you think you can jump into sim racing and win, you are wrong! But there is always races within a race. The race for 6th place can be way more fun if you have 3 or 4 guys about the same speed as you! Bumper to bumper clean racing fighting for 6th is a lot more fun to me than hot lapping 2 seconds a lap faster than the rest.

So I don

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

I'd have to agree with all points made by Hodgy. Although, I do think an Xbox 360 controller or similar is a bare minimum, because keyboard and mouse will NOT cut it. Normally I race manual transmission with even the controller and go much faster than I do in that video. Some of the top racers in AC and pCars use controllers. I once read somewhere which I think is very true, a controller lets you race good, a wheel lets you consistently race good.

As for the triple monitors.. the majority of the time they're just for immersion. Occasionally, it'll help me see who is on my left or right but its a fraction of the race time. There are also addons which anybody can use which'll show an indicator of a car position near you on your screen.

I have started this game with no pc racing sim experience with an xbox controller, and in just 20 laps increased my lap time by 30 seconds or so from when i first started, (most of which is just learning the tracks rather than the controller).

Hardware choice will depend heavily on 2 things, 1. how serious you take the game in general. and 2. Your use of the game outside of Gen racing events (fun nights etc).

If either of these answers is "not much" then a controller is all you need and have some fun. (i was getting shunted off the track on sat night and not even competing with Hodgy, timber, shuqi and gloves but the 2.5 hours i was playing for absolutely raced by (pun intended) and i had a blast. Kudos to Hodgy for controlling his rage when i took him out of the race....  :teehee:

Was not feeling spa though just couldn't hit the corners, had no problem hitting the walls though i was great at that.

Jinx Out....

I have started this game with no pc racing sim experience with an xbox controller, and in just 20 laps increased my lap time by 30 seconds or so from when i first started, (most of which is just learning the tracks rather than the controller).

Hardware choice will depend heavily on 2 things, 1. how serious you take the game in general. and 2. Your use of the game outside of Gen racing events (fun nights etc).

If either of these answers is "not much" then a controller is all you need and have some fun. (i was getting shunted off the track on sat night and not even competing with Hodgy, timber, shuqi and gloves but the 2.5 hours i was playing for absolutely raced by (pun intended) and i had a blast. Kudos to Hodgy for controlling his rage when i took him out of the race....  :teehee:

Was not feeling spa though just couldn't hit the corners, had no problem hitting the walls though i was great at that.

Jinx Out....

Its all about learning the track! But lap times are like losing weight, the first 30 comes off fast, the last 5 requires a huge effort.

No problem on the shunt mate its all racing at the end of the day I to shunted my fair share when I started..

Jinx Out....

Wow, thought the idea was to reduce your lap times not increase it?

OMG, seems sim racers are a bit fanatical as well.  I refer you back to the "LOL".

Hodgy, perhaps you should buy enough monitors to create a circle around your desk and then you could install a rear view mirror to watch the monitors at your six o'clock and the cooks front.  Now that's immersion.