IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Hodgy

All things Assetto Corsa

77 posts in this topic

I got an Xbox controller on the advise of the lads who play it.. i have trouble with that, so id imagine it would be impossible on a keyboard and mouse.. gonna save me pennies or get santa to get me a racing wheel

This game is good but super hard. I understand that it is a simulator however sometime it seems unrealistic to me. maybe the lack of clear vision of the road and depth perception.

Probly dirver error tho, practice makes perfect.

I'm using a logitech wheel and pedle setup.

Edited by =GEN=Hellspawned

Nice..

Assetto corsa is still really under development and will change a lot over the next year..

Not sure what you mean by clear vision of the road?

Hey Guys,

Have set up two saved Presets for AC server. 

One: GEN Sat Night Race 2. Set mix of cars 4 of each type GT3 style that we race.

Two: GEN Sat Night Race Open Wheel. Set to 24 Formula Abrath open wheel cars. 

Both are currently set to Brands Hatch Gp

Open wheel is the one currently running. 

Thought this would help to switch between vehicle style if we want to at any time. Let the nerd herd know if you want a track change any time or/and car style change. 

Look forward to some racing soon. 

@Cappy / Lead. When is good for you guys for a race/ GMT. 

Edited by =GEN=Timberwolf

Hey Guys,

Have set up two saved Presets for AC server. 

One: GEN Sat Night Race 2. Set mix of cars 4 of each type GT3 style that we race.

Two: GEN Sat Night Race Open Wheel. Set to 24 Formula Abrath open wheel cars. 

Both are currently set to Brands Hatch Gp

Open wheel is the one currently running. 

Thought this would help to switch been vehicle style if we want to at any time. Let the nerd heard know if you want a track change any time or/and car style change. 

Awesome sauce, what was the verdict on the track rotation that Hodgy was trying to implement? can it happen?

Love open wheel but having the option to switch to gt is a great idea.

P.S - adding the above server info to the home page might be an idea.

Edited by =GEN=Jinx

I think you GMT folks are in the majority, so you decide....

Given my experience of a couple of semi completed practice laps to date I think using the term race with respect to me is quite the stretch.

Right now timber im flat out with work. get home and im too sore to lift the controller,{but i do manage to find the strength to lift a stubby}

So basically i cant commit to  any particular time at eh mo, just hop on when i can

Lead is correct.. talking about racing at this stage is not really a good idea..

But I think we have around 10 members now with the game. We should try to put a time together to get everybody in and password the server, we can then work with the new guys to get them up to speed so we can start to run weekly races.. Maybe even a championship? 

This could be the game guys if we put in the effect to make it happen...

Stupid question time: cheating or not cheating?

Due to bad performance on my part, I've been experimenting a bit during yesterday's race session to see if I can catch up from my last position by improving my lap time via some "creative" driving.

Generally speaking: some tracks have tight turns that allow cutting through without having to slow down (much). The tracks where I've noticed this always give you a 'cut' notification during qualification but do not give you a penalty during the actual race, if you manage to drive through the right spot.

Depending on the track, I was able to improve my lap time by a few seconds when cutting those specific corners, bringing me on par/close to the better drivers' times, but I'm genuinely wondering if this would be considered cheating or not?

In addition to the cutting I also noticed one interesting feature on yesterday's map where if I cut the corner and gained a penalty, then I could pass over the edge of one of the next corners into the gravel, bring the car briefly to a stop, and then the penalty would simply disappear.

The time saved there is not that significant due to the stopping, but what surprised me was that it would simply remove the penalty, no matter if it was "x seconds below 35kmh" or "stop for x seconds".

Is it normal that penalties get removed when you go off-track, or is this also something that should be avoided when you've received a penalty?

I guess this post is more about driving etiquette in what to do and what to avoid when driving on our server.

Edited by =GEN=ShuQi

Hey ShuQi,

The penalty disappearing occurs when you bring the car to a complete stop even if not in the initial message. Is not related to going off track again as far as i am aware.

Cutting corners: I think if you get away with not being penalized and can do it then it is up to you and your own conscious.  Personally I would think sticking to the track and practice on those corners would be better to improve your driving ability rather than continue to use a cut you can get away with.  Saying that I know what you mean when you want to stay with the pack or not be down those valuable seconds every lap.

I think I would have minded more if by doing so you got the best lap times or beat us by doing so every lap. 

The penalty disappearing occurs when you bring the car to a complete stop even if not in the initial message. Is not related to going off track again as far as i am aware.

It depends on the type of penalty, afaik. There is a penalty that will continue to count down even if you've stopped on the track. I think it's the one that doesn't say "...below 35kmh", because I remember getting it one time for 20s and then started driving again when it hit the 1s mark and it reset back to the full 20s again. I spent almost a minute standing on the track just waiting for the penalty to count down, whereas I was able to get rid of it on yesterday's track by stopping on the gravel on that last big turn before the finish line.

Stupid question time: cheating or not cheating?

Due to bad performance on my part, I've been experimenting a bit during yesterday's race session to see if I can catch up from my last position by improving my lap time via some "creative" driving.

Generally speaking: some tracks have tight turns that allow cutting through without having to slow down (much). The tracks where I've noticed this always give you a 'cut' notification during qualification but do not give you a penalty during the actual race, if you manage to drive through the right spot.

Depending on the track, I was able to improve my lap time by a few seconds when cutting those specific corners, bringing me on par/close to the better drivers' times, but I'm genuinely wondering if this would be considered cheating or not?

In addition to the cutting I also noticed one interesting feature on yesterday's map where if I cut the corner and gained a penalty, then I could pass over the edge of one of the next corners into the gravel, bring the car briefly to a stop, and then the penalty would simply disappear.

The time saved there is not that significant due to the stopping, but what surprised me was that it would simply remove the penalty, no matter if it was "x seconds below 35kmh" or "stop for x seconds".

Is it normal that penalties get removed when you go off-track, or is this also something that should be avoided when you've received a penalty?

I guess this post is more about driving etiquette in what to do and what to avoid when driving on our server.

it is cheating hence the penalty received. but as i was all over you on imola i am not that worried lol........... I did notice you trying it when i was behind you and i managed to pass you racing the line, so although you get an advantage at the corner, trying to clear the penalty cost you just as much time if not more and i was able to pass you again. 

I think if you cut track and make up a place you need to give the place back..

Also you have a whole lap i think to remove the penalty, you should move to a safe place, not stop in the middle of the turn. Once on the straight you can pull to one side and and stop.

Also if you go off track you should wait till its clear before returning to the race line.

Assetto Corsa: 2015 and Beyond

Link to RD discussion. Assetto Corsa is looking good for 2016..

I think if you cut track and make up a place you need to give the place back..

Also you have a whole lap i think to remove the penalty, you should move to a safe place, not stop in the middle of the turn. Once on the straight you can pull to one side and and stop.

Also if you go off track you should wait till its clear before returning to the race line.

You have to the end of the current lap not a full lap to clear penalty.... i,e so if you receive a penalty on the final corner, you have to clear that penalty before crossing the start finish line or you will be black flagged. ( i know cause i have done it lol just to see what would happen) 

Was chatting with shuqi about this yesterday. I think this issue would fall under a server rules principle just as we have for waw and blops etc.

Hodgy had a info screen with a few of our core rules on the server pre update (no swearing, racism etc) it could be put on there. Only issue would be enforcing unless we use an honour system.

Welcome screen should be working again.

Welcome to the Cartoon Generals Playground.

All admins will have the =GEN= tage in front of there name..

Rules.

1: No arguing with admins. Listen, learn, or leave! NO DISRESPECT ALLOWED!

2: Foul language and racism will not be tolerated!

3: Apologize for all crashes in text chat. Deliberate crashes will see you removed from the server!

You can visit us at: www.cartoongenerals.com/main

TS3 address: 66.151.138.164

Nerds you can find this in the advanced tab in the assetto corsa server manager

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

my racing rig is down for maintenance so i cant really try it out.

Will get it back up and running over the weekend... :)

my racing rig is down for maintenance so i cant really try it out.

Will get it back up and running over the weekend... :)

Guess even crashing into virtual walls has its real-life effects? ;)

Guess even crashing into virtual walls has its real-life effects? ;)

Nah I killed a power supply...

All good now.