IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Jinx

Racing wheels Which is best for price, quality and durability

9 posts in this topic

Ok Drivers,

I am looking to get a racing wheel for assetto corsa having looked at hodgy's videos of his setuo.

It seems for me anyway that the difference from xbox controller to steering wheel is about 3 seconds. 

The question i am asking is what are the good options for steering wheels i have seen the price range from $150 - $600. I cant justify anything over 150 - 200.. Am i wasting money at this price and wait for more funds to get the better model. or are the $150 (logitech driving force GT) a good wheel to last a year or two??

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Jinx Out....... 

I'd say go for it if you prefer the immersion, but it may not affect your lap times.

Do you know what kind of setup you want? Just a wheel or also pedals and/or a shifter?

I have the (outdated) Logitech G27, which came with the wheel, pedals and shifter. However, I don't use the shifter in Assetto but use the wheel triggers instead. So, if you're going the racing route, then wheel & pedals should be enough already.

When I was shopping around for mine, Logitech and Thrustmaster were the leading options in regards to amateur wheels and they both offer wheel & pedal combos. I can't recommend anything specific, but keep an eye on the PC compatibility as some models only work with consoles or can have features that don't work on PC (for those console & PC compatible ones).

I'd check the available Logitech & Thrustmaster options and then search for Assetto compatibility to see what other players comment about them. If you've found a model you're interested in, then I'd search for available reviews, which usually compare them to the other available models, so you can get an idea if it may be better to save up for the top model instead.

Maybe Hodgy is able to provide you with an actual recommendation though.

You cant go wrong with a Logitech g27 mate, the pedals are the best for amateur level wheel pedal setups, I'm sure you can find second hand ones all over the place in Aus..

200 is not much of a budget for this kind of pc kit.. The minimum I would recommend is the g29 which is 500 aud. Look for second hand kit on Ebay or the likes.

The most important part of this type of setup is the brake pedal, I have read this over and over on all sim forums. I have a modified brake pedal which I changed the sensor, I now use pressure instead of position which allows me to use muscle memory.

I will see if I can setup a telemetry app so you guys can see. It will show things like where I applied the brakes and how much pressured used, where I applied the throttle and how much did I apply it..

Once I get it setup you can also install it and we can compare.

Ac Telemetry app

At the moment my setup is made of all different parts..

Thrustmaster TX servo base with 599xx wheel.

Logitech g27 pedals with modded brake sensor.

DSD shifter

Logitech H pattern shiftier

Edited by =GEN=Hodgy

Id guess Lead was just putting it out there on any "active thread"

Anyway jinx.. youve chose one, and are now using it,  give us some feedback on what its like. oh and it better be good coz i bought it from your link in the shoutbox

@jinx. @Cappy. Can you post the link here please. cheers ears. what did you get? I can search for it. Ferrari ????

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/ferrari-challenge-racing-wheel-pc-ps3 

http://www.playseat.com/formula-1-steering-wheel-ps3-pc-ferrari-thrustmaster  

Edited by =GEN=Timberwolf

****Update****

I bought the following racing wheel in my price range in the original post ($150 - $200)

Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 italia Racing wheel & Pedal for PC and XBOX.

NOTE: there are 2 models of the Ferrari 458 be sure to get the italia version as the non italia version is not compatible with PC and would be a very expensive paper weight. 

I couldn't justify the $400 - $500 price tags of the nice thrustmasters and logitechs (t150, g29's).

After a week of using this wheel (Not in the best setup, it is currently secured to a folding tv table which wobbles from side to side, on a chair mat that makes the pedals slide away from me during the course of the race lol.) I have found my lap times get better, but most importantly i have found my turn positioning of the car to be the biggest improvement.

I am able to to get  my car in a better position on the track to make turns i could never seem to get right with the controller. (example turns 1, 3, 4 and the last turn in brans hatch gp) this alone improves my lap times. I have also found my consistency has improved dramatically as well (example over 15 laps on the small silverstone track (my dedicated practice track) my lap times were not only quick but within .5 - 1 sec of each other, a feat i was not capable of on the controller for that many continuous laps)

Once i move into my new house in Feb and my wheel will be secured correctly to a fixed desk, and the pedals on carpet so no slipping i am sure my times will come down even further.

Setup of the wheel itself was simple and straight forward. plug in, windows update install and reboot, followed by an in game setup with Assetto Corsa and i was racing. (ensure you setup the steering as a 270 degree turning arc not the default assetto chooses.

Hope that helps some people.