IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=ShuQi

Windows 10 slowdown fix

15 posts in this topic

I've had an issue with Win10 starting to slow down due to constant 100% disk activity by some of its core processes. My guess is that this must have been introduced in a recent update, as I didn't experience those slowdowns that significantly before.

Booting was always slower compared to 8, but recently the system started to slow down to a point where it could freeze for a few seconds before responding to inputs again.

In the end I disabled the following to improve the performance again:

- windows notifiations -> 'show me tips about windows'

- windows service: superfetch

- windows service: windows search

The system is back to normal again now at <10% on idle compared to the constant 100% on idle before.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else noticed a slowdown on Win10 in desktop mode.

Yeah I have. Also Google chrome stopped opening. I know they have affected chrome in the past with their updates but not sure if that is the case this time.
Have scanned and cleaned my system but still no go. And re- installed .

another re-install worked 

Edited by =GEN=Timberwolf

hmmmm, good tip, my wife's new Windows 10 laptop repeatedly becomes unresponsive.  I was at a loss to know what was going on and thought it might be hardware related.  I'll check this out.  Thanks.

another re-install worked 

While looking into those Win10 related 100% disk usage issues, especially Skype and Chrome were mentioned as possible resource hogs by taking up all available memory (but that's more on systems with 4GB or less RAM).

In your case, assuming the Chrome process didn't even show up in TaskManager, my guess would have been that it's either an extension/plugin or some settings that cause it to crash - but good to hear that a reinstall did the trick.

I've had an issue with Win10 starting to slow down due to constant 100% disk activity by some of its core processes. My guess is that this must have been introduced in a recent update, as I didn't experience those slowdowns that significantly before.

Booting was always slower compared to 8, but recently the system started to slow down to a point where it could freeze for a few seconds before responding to inputs again.

In the end I disabled the following to improve the performance again:

- windows notifiations -> 'show me tips about windows'

- windows service: superfetch

- windows service: windows search

The system is back to normal again now at <10% on idle compared to the constant 100% on idle before.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else noticed a slowdown on Win10 in desktop mode.

just did this to my laptop as i was experiencing similar things. seems to have worked like a charm.. Cheers Shuqi

So this routine "partial" freezing of some interface aspects (unresponsive start menu and toolbars etc.) continues to be a royal pain on my wifes new laptop which came with Win 10 installed.  It also routinely loses WIFI internet connectivity.  I'm still working on this and it seems to affect many people so perhaps WIN 10 ain't all it's cracked up to be.  But in respect to the symptom you reported Shuqi, I found the following known issue you can look into:

this is a known issue with certain ACHI devices. Microsoft has provided a solution:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083595

If you follow these steps (taken from the article) your problem should be resolved.

Identify if you are running the inbox AHCI driver (StorAHCI.sys):

Open a command prompt with administrator privileges. Then type the following command in the command prompt window and hit Enter: devmgmt.msc
Under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers right-click on the AHCI controller node and select Properties. This node is usually called

Dragged out my old Macbook pro and upgraded to 'El Capitan' OSX. Nice and smooth. Forgot how nice the Mac is. shame it does run all the games we like to play and no i am not going to run them through bootcamp. hahahaha.  Sticking with Win 10 for my main Gaming Machine. 

I have seen a couple of systems after the recent Win 10 update cause the Windows Search service running nonstop.  It almost seems that the Windows is attempting to reindex the files.  All but 1 machine eventually made its way back to 'normal' but the slowest time was from an older laptop and only after 48 hours.  Way to go Microsoft as I am certain you go through a thorough Beta testing off new releases and 'fixes' before you force them on your loyal customers.

I too wish that we could run the software coded for Windows on a Mac or even Linux.

All but 1 machine eventually made its way back to 'normal' but the slowest time was from an older laptop and only after 48 hours. 

I thought it might be an indexing issue, seeing how it was showing a constant 100% disk usage. I gave up after leaving it running for almost a day - guess I should have waited a few more, heh.

Anyone play steam games on Mac or Linux system? They multi player compatible on gaming servers mixing with playing via Windows ???

Edited by =GEN=Timberwolf

Have since deleted my install of Win 10 on my laptop, so glad i didn't update my desktop, horrible update with bugs freezes and slowing of my system, did try those fixes listed above with no luck have gone back to 8.1 a much better version imo. 

Sadly, I bought a new laptop for my wife with Windows 10 pre-installed.  It is a hot steaming mess.  Constant, slow downs, freezes of the interface, applications not starting or shutting down, wifi constantly dropping internet and turning itself off.  I have performed multiple updates to bios and drivers.  Complete failure by Microsoft with no option to revert to an older OS

Lead, i have a fully functioning Win7 with loader i can point you in the  direction of