IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Lead_Magnet

BF1 Alpha impressions

19 posts in this topic

First impressions:

-It's Battlefield, it feels very familiar in that you will generally understand how to play it right away.

-Battlelog is gone and the initial interface is very much like Battlefront.

-It is beautiful, it can be both colorful or stark and grey like a wasted battle field.

-The sound is even better than ever, bi/tri planes buzzing you, explosions dropping dirt around you and on your helmet.

-Yet it feels very different particularly weapon play, the game seems to have put an emphasis on close combat:

-Sadly the Alpha was soft core and I found it pretty challenging to get kills.

-Weapons have different variations such as sharpshooter or trench.  A particular weapon can behave quite differently depending on the variation.

-The Scout class are snipers with scope bolt action rifles like the Gewehr, their scope glint, one shot kills depend on distance from enemy and is different by weapon, very difficult to hit moving soldiers who appear to move very quickly even with greater muzzle velocity but greater bullet drop.

-The Medic has semi auto riles scoped with auto deploy able bi-pods or iron sights.  They are in essence DMRs but are less effective at close range and it takes 4 hits to kill unless a head shot.  The defibs are replaced by a syringe and it is much more challenging to get revives in close combat then the Assault class in BF4.  I think this is a good thing.  The syringe can also kill as I learned the hard way.

-The Assault class has SMGs which are really only effective at close range, bullet spread at long range is extreme and tap firing does not improve it.  Unfortunately hip fire is also very effective at close range.  The class also gets this hairy anti tank gun with 4 huge shells that can only be used prone when bi-pod is deployed.  In addition they have a heavy anti-tank grenade.  So this class is most effective against tanks.

-The Support class has LMGs.  When you first fire the bullet spread is tremendous but actually narrows dramatically as you hold the trigger.  They also have trip wire bombs.

The weapon designs, configurations and sights are very interesting and even bizarre in some cases.

The reload animations are cool and in many cases vary based on the number of rounds spent (e.g. 2 full clips, versus 1 full clip and some individual rounds versus just individual rounds).  The weapons actually get dirty if you go prone or wet when it is raining.

-In general the pistols are very effective particularly the M1911.

-The standard grenade has a tremendous delay and cannot be thrown very far.  There is an impact grenade, a gas grenade, a light tank grenade and an incendiary grenade.  All classes have a gas mask which can be put on at any time on the fly but limits your FOV.

The dynamic weather does not appear to be truly dynamic.  It does not change during a round rather each round can have different weather form beginning to end.  They are fair weather, rainy weather and foggy weather.  Foggy weather in particular dramatically impacts game play especially for scouts and medics with scoped weapons.

Blackbox will be pleased to know that there is in fact bayonet charges.  All classes with all primary weapons can do it by sprinting while holding the melee key.  You charge and yell for a specific distance.  Your control over your direction is limited once you commit and so you can miss your target.  Other wise you can melee as usual with an ax or shovel (trench club not available in alpha).

ShuQi will be pleased to know that there are field artillery pieces whose aim can be turned and elevated.  The reload animation is very cool.

There are anti aircraft guns on the map and you can also do some damage to planes with all weapons most notable the LMGs.

The environment destruction is intense including tank and artillery creating craters in the ground:

https://youtu.be/pfUoZAWFXms

Good discussion on the weapons:

https://youtu.be/FIsyYEye1YE

Scout sniping for Blackbox:

https://youtu.be/p03xBbhqB8I

Good idea of what a Cartoon General squad could be:

I did very little in plans other then crash or be in the gunner seat on certain plans.  This is because there was no option to invert the controls so I was lost.  I did see a plane hit the ground, cartwheel once and then continue on in the air.  It also seems that mid air collisions do not result in destruction.  Some airplane footage:

https://youtu.be/DucrRjUR4jQ

Light and heavy tanks and armored vehicles are both bizarre and cool.  The only outrageous KDRs a saw were from players in light tanks.  So there seemed to be many complaints about them being over powered:

https://youtu.be/P6UxvmHlAig

Then there is the dreaded dirigible that is awarded to the losing team towards the end of the round.  In think is pretty stupid, unrealistic and ineffective.  It seems that the losing team all rush to spawn on it rather then continue to focusing on taking controls points which only makes the situation worse.

The way you level up is by increasing your ranks through game play points which ultimately result in receiving war bonds which you then use to buy new weapons and gadgets.

In general the game seemed much faster moving in terms of control points changing hands in both Conquest and Domination.  There were several instances where streams of enemies were moving simultaneously across fields and though towns to overwhelm control points.

I was frustrated in the beginning because I found it very difficult to get kills but not be killed.  I basically think soft core makes for a close quarters run and gun hip fire fest which is not my cup of tea.  I had much company as evidenced by in game text comments and response to a post I made about it.  No confirmation as to whether hard core servers will be supported to the best of my knowledge even though we requested it on the forums.  However, as I experimented with the various classes and weapons I got better and had a lot of fun.  The game seems more balanced in terms of fewer super dominate players although many of the rounds were not well balanced between teams.

There were quite a few technical issues with crashing and video card memory leaks or crashes.  But I would say the game was very playable for about 95% of the time.  So hopefully the ultimate release will be reasonably stable.

As I reread this I must say this is almost at the level of a Blackbox analysis if I do say so myself.

Nice work Lead cheers for the effort.

Footage you posted up looked a little less refined than bf4 was but i realise this is the alpha testing. All in all it looks like i will be giving this one a red hot go (server and hardcore details pending of course) i will see if i can get into the beta to have a good look at it as well.

I almost forgot, when you are on the British team it seems like there are a bunch of Cappies calling out wounded or encouraging you to retake lost control points etc.

Nice lead. Thanks for the info. I like being a foot soldier so not to fond of those tanks

I know, get ready for some carnage Timber.

wow well written and concise alpha review Lead. hope things going to get better over times too... cant wait for fog sniping action... i will just shoot at anyone that light up their cigarette at nite... LOL

Edited by =GEN=Blackbox

i would prefer having shotgun for sidearm/self defense and also give me one of those sam fisher goggles XD

HA!  It's WW1, we'll give you some brass knuckles and a monocle!

Got an email Friday from EA to register my platform preference for the BF1 Open Beta.  No specific date announced yet to my knowledge but it must be close.

New Gamescon BF1 trailer.

New maps, swords, horses, flame throwers, suits of armour, trains, ships, torpedoes, sandstorms