IMPORTANT: Because of the upgrade you need to login with your DISPLAY NAME, So members will need to use their =GEN=YOURNAME to login

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
=GEN=Lead_Magnet

How to stop WIN10 from installing generic HID mouse driver?

15 posts in this topic

Anybody know how to prevent WIN10 from constantly loading it's generic HID mouse driver.  I have a Logitech Mx518 mouse and have repeatedly had to reload the Logitech HID-Compliant G3/MX518 Optical Mouse driver after WIN10 updates remove it and install the generic one.

But now WIN10 repeatedly re-installs its generic driver when it reboots resulting in having both the generic and the Logitech driver enabled simultaneously.  I can tell when scrolling becomes annoyingly erratic in Chrome.

I've had a similar issue with my keyboard, but unfortunately cannot find the link to the forum post anymore that got me to fix the issue.

As far as I recall, the problem was caused by multiple instances of those HID drivers. They all had to be removed with the device disconnected, turn of the PC, reconnect the device and then turn on the PC again.

After those steps, Windows finally kept my actual keyboard's drivers and no longer replaced them with a new instance of HID drivers.

They all had to be removed with the device disconnected

Thanks ShuQi.  No simple task without a mouse.  Besides WIN10 will not recognize the Logitech drivers, it always installs it's own stupid drivers.  Microsoft, stop trying to turn my PC into one of your shitty cells phones!

Anybody know how to prevent WIN10 from constantly loading it's generic HID mouse driver.

Don't use Win10.

:teehee:

But honestly, glad you got a response from someone who actually uses it.  Hopefully it'll solve your problems.  Win10 has no appeal to me thanks to all the dumb bullshit regarding updates and privacy, so I just don't use it.

Edited by =GEN=Looseminded

I know of a fix so windows 10 doesn't/won't change specific drivers when it does its updates. unfortunately the info is at home and i don't get back for two weeks.

If I recall it is a couple of policy changes  and a tweak with the Registry.

If someone hasn't come to the rescue before I get back I'll look for the info when I get back. 

Get back you say Timber? aint you in the States? why not do the right thing and go to Leads house and fix it for him,??

Oh thats if United airlines dont have you dragged of the plane by the coppers

They lost my luggage. Does that count?

Also just heard today that with the next windows update Microsoft is pushing out you will not be able to completely stop windows 10 updates for longer than 7 days if connected to the internet.

Edit: and so the total control commences. The normal life cycle of an OS must be up soon whereby you will have to pay a fee (if that rumour is true.

Hold on but then how would that work if they are pushing updates. Confused. hmmmmm. 

Edited by =GEN=Timberwolf

Oh and Timber...DO NOT stay a minute over your visa...

Clearly the Canadians fault

Clearly the Canadians fault

Oh aye, so lets stick him behind bars for 10 days and counting, untill the paperwork gets sorted out..why not just deport him back to Oz?

Oh aye, so lets stick him behind bars for 10 days and counting, untill the paperwork gets sorted out..why not just deport him back to Oz?

Hey, he is just getting the full tour of America and free room and board.

@Lead. Sorry mate. can't find my notes I had for this for my keyboard but this website offers, from what I have read on it, the same directions/solutions.

Assume you have windows pro? if not you may like their download to control drivers?  I have not tested the GUI driver control system so can not say if it works or not. I have not tested for Windows Home.

You won't know if it works or not until the next update either.  You could create restore points often until the next update so you can roll-back, try a different setting/ process and let the update run again to see if it is effective?

If you are going to try the 'Registry'fix recommend exporting a backup of the Registry before hand. 

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/ 

Edited by =GEN=Timberwolf

Thanks for remembering and taking the time to look.  I just disabled the duplicate generic Win10 driver for now and it seems to stay disabled and I have had an update since I did it.  If I delete it however it will reinstall itself in an enabled state.